Dean Russell (ML, RCI) is a climber, mountaineer and trail runner with over 15 years experience of climbing. He is an all round climber who is equally comfortable when trad climbing the stunning sea cliffs of Pembrokeshire as he is ice climbing in Rjuken or while on big mountains in Nepal.
Dean has been teaching climbing since 2016 and brings his infectious enthusiasm to the crag. He thoroughly enjoys teaching and passing on skills and techniques to improve peoples climbing and to ensure they are safe. Dean has a calm and patient way about him. Combined with his passion for the sport and him wanting to get the best out of the people he climbs with, he makes for a great climbing guide.
Some of Dean Russell’s major accomplishments include:
• Up to E4 onsight trad climbing, including Bloody Sunday, Pembroke (E4, 6A); All Systems, Avon Gorge (E4, 6A); Kaiser Wall, Wintours Lead (E3, 6A); Comes the Dervish, Llanberis (E3, 5C)
• Up to 7c Sports climbing, including Honk Down, El Chorro (7c); Chulilla, Brean Down (7b+); House Burning Down, Cheddar Gorge (7b+); Insane in the Membrane, Owens River Gorge (7b);
• Le marche du temps (7A, A0, 200m)
• North Face of the Piz Badile via the Cassin Route (TD)
• Up to water ice 5 and Scottish V including Nye Vemorkfoss, Rjuken (WI 5); Pumpkin, Creag Meagaidh (V, 4); Route Major, Carn Etchachan (IV, 5)
• 6,000m peak in Nepal (Lobuche East, 6,119m; Island Peak Solo, 6189m; Kyajo Ri, 6186m)